A definition (/ˌde.fə'nɪ.ʃən/) is a statement of the exact meaning of a word, especially in a dictionary or glossary. Thesauruses and encylopedias usually have entries rather than definitions, but they're the same basic idea.
A dictionary definition usually includes:
- Details of the word class.
- A pronunciation guide, often written in IPA.
- A description of the meaning(s) of the word.
It may also include some or all of the following:
- Examples of typical usage.
- etymological information.
- Translation into another language(s).
- Details of collocations.
- Details of idiomatic usage.
- Details of rhyming words.
Understanding such entries is an important skill for students to master.