List of multi-word verbs: buy
Revision as of 12:57, 6 December 2019 by Duncan (Text replacement - "Category:Wordlists" to "Category:Word lists")
This is a list of multi-word verbs based on the verb buy. It is intended as a reference for teachers, not as a mere list to be presented as-is to students.
- buy in
- i. pay to become part of, usually, a business: He reckons we're going to be really successful and he wants to buy in.
- ii. accumulate, especially stock: There's a strike next week, so we have to make sure we buy in enough stuff to last us till it's over.
- (also reflexive): He bought himself in.
- buy back - retrieve by paying for it:
- buy off - pay to avoid danger:
- buy out - obtain control of a business by buying all the shares:
- buy over - convince someone by paying them:
- buy up - obtain as much as possible: