Holidays conversation questions
- Are holidays really relaxing? What stressful things are involved in taking a holiday?
- When your holiday is finished are you glad to get back to work (or school) or do you dread it? Why?
- Some people buy and read a guidebook before going on holiday. What do you do to prepare for a holiday?
- What are some holiday traditions that you do?
- How many suitcases do you usually take with you on holiday?
- Do men take more clothes and suitcases than women?
- How much of the clothes that you pack do you actually wear?
- Who packs your things? You? Your parents? Your partner?
- Do you write out a list of things to pack?
- How often do you forget vital things?
- What do you think of the following advice? "Take half the clothes and twice the money."
i thinks it good advice!
Your last holiday
- Where did you go?
- How long did you stay?
- What did you do there?
- Who did you go with?
- Where did you stay?
- What was the food like?
- What were the people like?
- Were you able to speak English?
- What was the weather like?
- How did you get there?
Your next holiday?
- Where are you going to go?
- How long are you going to stay?
- Who are you going to go with?
- Where are you going to stay?
- What special things do you plan to do?
- Do you plan to try the local food?
- Where did you use to go on holiday when you were a child?
- Do you still go back there? If so, has it changed since then? In what ways has it changed?
- What is the most memorable holiday you had when you were a child?
- What are the most popular destinations for tourists in your country?
- What makes them popular?
- Are they popular with both natives and tourists?
- Have you visited them? Why/why not?
- Is there any special period when tourists visit your country?
- What special provisions does your country make for tourists?
- How important is the tourism industry for your country?
Choosing a holiday
- How far in advance do you like to plan your holidays?
- Which do you prefer: summer holidays or winter holidays? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying a holiday with everything organised for you compared with a holiday which you create fully by yourself?
- Do you organise your holiday over the internet or do you use a travel agent? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
- Do you consider environment issues when you plan and take a holiday? Which issues do you consider?
- What are the differences between a holiday you take with your family and a holiday which you take with friends?
Types of holiday
- Do you prefer holidays which include a lot of activities or more relaxing ones? Why?
- Do you prefer to visit cities, the beach or mountains. Why?
- The Antarctic is a potentially dangerous place to visit. Can you think of any other dangerous parts of the world for tourists? What makes them dangerous? What dangerous places would you like to visit?
- Would you like to go on a long cruise? Why/why not?
- Where would your ideal holiday destination be? You can spend as much money as you like!!
- Who would be your ideal holiday companion? What would you do?
In the mountains
- Do you like to go skiing? If you like skiing tell us what is enjoyable about it. If you don't like skiing - why not?
- Have you ever been rock climbing? If so describe the experience.
- Do you enjoy trekking? If so, talk about routes you have enjoyed.
- Do you have any GPS equipment? How does it work?
- Have you ever been lost in the mountains? If so, talk about the experience.
Have you ever experienced any of these holiday problems? If so, talk about them.
- Luggage lost or delayed.
- Flight cancelled or missed.
- Double-booking or overbooking.
- Car accident.
- Illness or personal accident.
- Getting lost.
- Problems with the hotel.
- Very bad weather.
- Belongings stolen.
- Running out of money.
- Do you eat more when you're on holiday? Do you put on weight or do you work it all off?
- Do you usually eat out every day when you're on holiday?
- If you're staying at a hotel, do you usually have full board or half board?
- Do you like to try local dishes or do you stick to "international" dishes like pizza, hamburgers, and so on?
- BrE: A period in which you are not working, especially if you are away from home. Vacation.AmE
- A day in which one doesn't have to work.
- AmE: A period in which you are not working, especially if you are away from home. Holiday.BrE
- A period when universities or courts of law are closed.
- Accessibility conversation questions
- Beach conversation questions
- Camping conversation questions
- Christmas conversation questions
- Easter conversation questions
- Flying conversation questions
- Hotels conversation questions
- Leisure conversation questions
- Theme parks conversation questions
- Travel conversation questions
- Weather conversation questions