Professor Widdowson is Emeritus Professor of Education, University of London, and has also been Professor of Applied Linguistics at Essex University and Professor of English Linguistics at the University of Vienna.
As a leading proponent of the communicative approach, Widdowson was involved in a polemic with Michael Swan in 1985, following the latter's "A critical look at the Communicative Approach" in the ELT Journal (Parts 1 and 2).
- Language Teaching:A Scheme for Teacher Education
- Teaching Language as Communication
- Defining Issues in English Language Teaching
- Practical Stylistics
- Learning Purpose and Language Use
- Explorations in Applied Linguistics 1 and 2
- Biography of H.G. Widdowson @ OUP
- Swan. M. "A critical look at the Communicative Approach (1)" in ELT J (January 1985) 39 (1): 2-12. ELT Journal
- Swan. M. "A critical look at the Communicative Approach (2)" in ELT J (April 1985) 39 (2): 76-87. ELT Journal
- Widdowson, H. "Against dogma: A reply to Michael Swan" (abstract) in ELT J (1985) 39 (3): 158-161. ELT Journal
- English Forums, Re: I've Been Studying For CPE. A brief summary of the polemic.