From Teflpedia
Revision as of 12:37, 25 April 2019 by (talk)
IPA vowels
æ ɑː
trap father - start
dress face square
ɪ ɪə
kit fleece near
ɒ əʊ ɔː
lot goat taught
ʊ ʊə
foot goose mature
juː jʊə
cute cure
ʌ ə ɜː
strut comma nurse
price mouth choice
IPA consonants
Normal sound: /b, d, f, g, h, k, l, m, n, p, r, s, t, v, w, z/
 ʃ  ŋ
show church sing
ʒ  j 
usual judge you
θ ð s
think that see
IPA Stress
ˈ Primary stress
hotel /həʊˈtel/
ˌ Secondary stress
IPA Syllabification
. nitrate /ˈnaɪ.treɪt/, night-rate /ˈnaɪt.reɪt/

A diphthong (/dɪfθɒŋg/) is a sound that moves from one vowel sound to another. There are two main kinds in English: rising diphthongs and falling diphthongs.

Falling diphthong

A falling diphthong starts with a vowel of higher prominence and ends with a short vowel [ɪ], [ʊ], [ə] or semivowel [j] or [w]. In English it is customary to use vowels (e.g. [ɪ] instead of [j]), and to consider falling diphthongs as phonemes.

Some phoneticians consider that /iː/ is a diphthong [ij] and that /uː/ is a diphthong [uw].

Rising diphthong

A rising diphthong begins with a semivowel [j] or [w]. In English rising diphthongs are normally analyzed as sequences of two phonemes. There are many rising diphthongs in English, as /j/ and /w/ can combine with many vowels.


See also

This article is a stub and may need expanding. If you feel you can help improve it please click the "Edit" link at top to edit it. If you need help editing, simple guidance can be found here.

This message should only be placed on talk pages, not main namespace.