Decoding exercises: "eo"
The letter combination "eo" has several different pronunciations. This article sets out some words teachers can use to help their students become more aware of the differences.
"eo" as one syllable
- /iː/: people
- /ɔː/ George - Georgia
- /e/: Geoffrey - jeopardy - Leonard - leopard
- /ə/: dungeon - luncheon - surgeon
- "eou" as /ə/: advantageous - courageous - gorgeous - outrageous - righteous
"eo" in two different syllables
- /iːəʊ/: deodorant - Leo - Romeo - stereo - video
- /iːɒ/: neon
- disciplines: archeology - choreography - geography - geology - geometry - theology
- /iːə/: Leonardo - leotard
- "eou" as /iːə/: courteous - erroneous - hideous - homogeneous - instantaneous - miscellaneous - simultaneous - spontaneous
- Two words written together
- moreover - someone
- chameleon /kəˈmiːliːən, kəˈmiːljən/
- meteor /ˈmiːtiːər, ˈmiːtiːˌɔːr/
- nauseous /ˈnɔːziːəs, ˈnɔːsiːəs,BrE ˈnɔːʃəsAmE/
- /ɪə,BrE iːəAmE/: theorem - theoretical - theory
- /ɪ, ə/: pigeon
- pidgin - pigeon
- Def Leppard
- "Lenny" is a nickname for "Leonard"