Decoding and spelling exercises: /əʊ/ vs /aʊ/
The spelling of /əʊ/ and /aʊ/ is sometimes the same (as in "ow"). Moreover, "ou" in Spanish sounds [ou] (like /əʊ/ in an American accent) rather than [au]. For these reasons some students confuse these two sounds, even if they are able to pronounce them. For example, the word "tower" may be pronounced as * (or [ˈtowər]) instead of /ˈtaʊər/.
- /aʊ/: about - account - amount - announce - around - background - blouse - bound - boundary - cloud - compound - council - counsel - count - county - discount - doubt - encounter - flounder - foul - found - founder - ground - house - loud - mount - mountain - mouse - mouth - noun - out - outcome - output - pound - profound - proud - round - scout - shout - sound - south - surround - thousand - trout - (verb wind)
- /aʊə/: flour - hour - our (unstressed /ɑːr/) - sour
- /əʊ/: although - boulder - dough - shoulder - soul - though
- /aʊ/: allow - (inclination) - brow - brown - browse - clown - cow - crowd - crown - down - drown - eyebrow - frown - how - now - owl - powder - (quarrel) - towel - town - vowel - wow
- /aʊə/: coward - flower - power - shower - tower
- /əʊ/: arrow, below, blow, borrow, bowl, crow, elbow, fellow, flow, follow, grow, grown, growth, know, low, narrow, owe, own, (line), shadow, show, slow, snow, throw, tomorrow, tow, window, yellow
/aʊ/ vs. /əʊ/: clown - clone; couch - coach; drown - drone; loud - load; noun - known; now - know/no; town - tone
- /aʊ/: council - counsel; flour - flower; foul - fowl;
- /əʊ/: grown - groan; know - no; sow - so - sew; soul - sole; tow - toe;
Main article: Heteronym
- bow: /baʊ/ inclination - /bəʊ/ weapon; row /raʊ/ quarrel - /rəʊ/ line;
- Correcting mistakes
- Decoding exercises: "ou"
- Decoding exercises: "ow"
- Spelling exercises: "ou" vs "ow"