Christmas conversation questions
- Do you like Christmas? Why, why not?
- How do you and your family celebrate Christmas?
- What are the traditions or customs you need to follow during Christmas?
- If Christmas were abolished, how would you feel?
- Sometimes people complain they are "expected to be happy" over Christmas, and this expectation annoys them. What do you feel about the "obligation to be happy"?
What is your favorite Christmas movie?
- Many people like to have a "white Christmas," i.e., with snow. How do you feel about this?
- When was the last time you made a snowman?
- When was the last time you had a snowball fight?
- Tell us about the most memorable gift you've ever received during childhood Christmas.
- What kind of gift are you expecting to receive this year's Christmas?
- Traditionally, when are decorations put up and taken down in your family/society?
- Does your family decorate your house over the Christmas period? What sort of decorations do you put up? How many rooms do you decorate?
- What do you think of the practice of decorating the outside of the house during Christmas?
- Do you have a Christmas tree? How is it decorated?
- Do you have a real or a fake tree? Which do you think is best and why?
- Is the main street of your town decorated during the Christmas period? What is your opinion of the town's money being spent in this way?
- When do you do your Christmas shopping? Well in advance. A week in advance. The day before.
- Do you tell people what you want for Christmas or do you prefer it to be a surprise?
- Do you give presents to everyone in your family, including cousins, aunts and uncles?
- How often do you receive presents that you really like, and how often do you have to pretend you are happy with a present?
- Do you enjoy carefully wrapping all your presents or do you feel it is waste of time?
- Are there certain presents that you know you'll always receive from certain people?
- What presents did you get for Christmas - or - what do you hope to get?
- What do you think will be the most popular electronic gadget given as a gift this year?
- Some people wait for the January sales before they buy their "Christmas" presents as they can save a lot of money this way. What do you think of this suggestion?
- Do you do any of your Christmas shopping on the internet? What do you think of the method of shopping?
- If you received a gift you didn't really like or want how would you feel about asking for the receipt so that you could change it at the shop?
- How many people came round (or will come round) for lunch or Christmas dinner this year? What did/will you eat?
- What foods are traditionally eaten in your country at Christmas?
Mythical Christmas characters
- How old were you when you found out that Santa Claus (or whoever) does not exist?
- How did you find out? Were you disappointed or sad? Why/Why not?
- In some countries there are moves to change the name of Christmas to "Winterval" and to change the greeting "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays". The objective is to make the holiday more inclusive to non-Christians. What is your opinion?
- In the United States Hanukkah (a Jewish holiday) and Kwanzaa (a celebration for African Americans) are also included in the Holiday Season. Do you think it is necessary to give each religion or ethnicity equal time at the end of the year?
- If you had to rename Christmas, what name would you give it?
- What is your opinion of the alleged commercialisation of Christmas?
- Sometimes people complain that we are losing the "true spirit of Christmas". What do you think?
- The original pre-Christian winter solstice celebration was a pagan event which involved a lot of eating, drinking and general permissiveness. Are we perhaps returning to the original spirit of Christmas?
- The vast majority of the traditional Christmas symbols are pagan in origin. For example mistletoe, the Christmas tree and holly are all pagan relics. Is this important?
- It seems to be highly unlikely that Christ was actually born on 25th of December. Should that matter to Christians?
- Some atheists celebrate Christmas along with the rest of society while others try to avoid all contact with it. Should Christmas only be for Christians?
- Christ /kraɪst/
- Christian /ˈkrɪstʃən/
- Christmas /krɪsməs/
- Hanukkah, Chanukkah, Chanukah /ˈhænʊkə/
- Kwanzaa /ˈkwænzɑː/
- Bonfire Night conversation questions
- Easter conversation questions
- Holidays conversation questions
- New Year conversation questions
- Party conversation questions
- Presents conversation questions
- Religion conversation questions
- Shopping conversation questions
- Classic Christmas carols Site with the words of classic Christmas carols and suggestions for use in class.
- Questions about Santa A remarkably long list of conversation questions about Santa! Another Sean Banville production.
- Christmas site A site with a lot of Christmas activities, conversation questions quizzes and activities.
- "Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays": A Summary of U.S. Holiday Greetings