Working in English conversation questions
Meetings[edit | edit source]
- Have you ever had to attend a meeting in English?
- Did you contribute or just listen?
- Was there simultaneous translation available? How effective was it?
- How well did you understand the points which were being made? How well did others understand you?
- If you take notes during a meeting, do you write in English or in your own language. Why?
- Do you think the other non-native English speakers attending had a better level of English than yours? If so, did this inhibit you?
- How do you feel about speaking in English with your coworkers who share your native language?
- How important do you think non-verbal language (gestures, smiles, etc.) is in making yourself understood?
- What suggestions would you make to other people who have to attend meetings in English?
Making presentations[edit | edit source]
- Have you ever had to make a presentation in English?
- How did you find the experience?
- Do yo think it would be a good idea to practise the presentation with your English teacher beforehand, or would this make the actual presentation less spontaneous?
- Do you write out everything you are going to say word for word, or do you just make general notes? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each method?
- Was there a question and answer after the presentation? How did it go?
- Was it a presentation to native english speakers or to non-native speakers? Which do you think would be easiest? Why?
- What recommendations would you make to somebody who has to give a presentation in English?
Written English[edit | edit source]
- How often do you have to write or read texts in English?
- What kind of texts do you have to read or write? Emails? Reports? PowerPoint presentations? Tenders? (A tender is a formal offer).
- Do you ever chat over the internet in English for work? What chat program do you use?