Weather conversation questions
The weather is a constant source of surprise for many people - basically because it changes like, well, the weather.
- Foreigners often say that the only topic of conversation for people in Great Britain is the weather. Why do you think this is so?
- In what ways does the weather influence our daily lives?
- Are people who live in the country more interested in, or knowledgeable about, weather conditions than people who live in cities? Why/why not?
- What is the difference between "weather" and "climate"?
- How often do you check the weather forecast? Every morning/evening?
- How do you check the forecast? (internet, TV, radio ...)
- Do you check the forecast when you're planning a holiday/trip?
- Do you understand all the terminology used when they give the weather forecast? What technical vocabulary can you remember?
- Can you read and understand weather maps along with all the signs and symbols?
- How much do you "trust" the weather forecast? How often is it wrong?
- Imagine that you made the following prediction every evening: "The weather tomorrow will be the same as the weather today". Do you think your prediction would be more accurate or less accurate than the weather forecast on the TV?
- Have you ever been caught in an extreme rain/snow/sandstorm?
- Do you carry snow chains in your car in winter? Do you know how to fit them?
- Have you ever had to drive through a flooded road/street or across a flooded stream/river?
- Have you ever had your holidays ruined because of bad weather?
- Have you ever been through a storm on a plane? Has that experience given you a fear of flying?
- Have you ever been through a storm at sea? Do you know anyone who's had their boat capsized in a storm?
- Have you ever been caught out in bad weather when hiking? What did you do?
- Do you like cool, rainy days or do you prefer hot, sunny ones?
- Do you ever feel "under the weather"? (under the weather = depressed, downhearted)
- Do you get headaches when it's muggy?
- Which is your favourite season?
- Some people get depressed in the winter, especially in northern latitudes. Do your emotions change with the seasons? In what way?
- Some people love the sensation of rain falling on them and others hate it. How do you feel about being rained on?
- Which do you think is worst: being out in uncomfortably hot weather or uncomfortably cold weather?