Weather conversation questions
Background[edit | edit source]
The weather is a constant source of surprise for many people - basically because it changes like, well, the weather.
Weather[edit | edit source]
- In what ways does the weather influence our daily lives?
- Are people who live in the country more interested in, or knowledgeable about, weather conditions than people who live in cities? Why/why not?
- What is the difference between "weather" and "climate"?
Forecasts[edit | edit source]
- How often do you check the weather forecast? Every morning/evening?
- How do you check the forecast? (internet, TV, radio ...)
- Do you check the forecast when you're planning a holiday/trip?
- Do you understand all the terminology used when they give the weather forecast? What technical vocabulary can you remember?
- Can you read and understand weather maps along with all the signs and symbols?
- How much do you "trust" the weather forecast? How often is it wrong?
- Imagine that you made the following prediction every evening: "The weather tomorrow will be the same as the weather today". Do you think your prediction would be more accurate or less accurate than the weather forecast on the TV?
Experiences[edit | edit source]
- Have you ever been caught in an extreme rain/snow/sandstorm?
- Do you carry snow chains in your car in winter? Do you know how to fit them?
- Have you ever had to drive through a flooded road/street or across a flooded stream/river?
- Have you ever had your holidays ruined because of bad weather?
- Have you ever been through a storm on a plane? Has that experience given you a fear of flying?
- Have you ever been through a storm at sea? Do you know anyone who's had their boat capsized in a storm?
- Have you ever been caught out in bad weather when hiking? What did you do?
Feelings[edit | edit source]
- Do you like cool, rainy days or do you prefer hot, sunny ones?
- Do you ever feel "under the weather"? (under the weather = depressed, downhearted)
- Do you get headaches when it's muggy?
- Which is your favourite season?
- Some people get depressed in the winter, especially in northern latitudes. Do your emotions change with the seasons? In what way?
- Some people love the sensation of rain falling on them and others hate it. How do you feel about being rained on?
- Which do you think is worst: being out in uncomfortably hot weather or uncomfortably cold weather?