Travel conversation questions
Travel[edit | edit source]
- How many times have you gotten lost while travelling? What happened?
- Are you good at reading maps? If you get lost do you usually try to find out where you are by yourself or do you ask for help?
- It is frequently claimed that men and women have different strategies associated with map reading and asking the way. What do you think?
- What is your opinion of hitch-hiking? How often have you done it? Do you think it’s safe?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of travelling alone or in a group?
- How often have you been camping? Describe your experience.
- Do you like to go to places where there are lots of other people or to more isolated places? Why?
- Do you think all public transport should be free? What would the advantages and disadvantages be?
- Have you ever had an accident while travelling? What happened?
- If you compare the train, bus and airport systems in your country – which is the cheapest? Which is the most efficient? Which is the safest in terms of accidents?
- What is the “greenest” or most ecological way of getting around? How would you calculate the most ecological? How would the number of passengers in the transportation system change the calculation?
- What method of transport do you use most often?
- If you are travelling through a country, what is the best way to see the countryside?
- What unusual method of transport would you most like to try out?
The road[edit | edit source]
- At what age does the average person obtain a driver's license in your country? What do you need to do to pass the test?
- Can you ride a motorcycle? Do you think that they are safe?
- In some countries mopeds are very noisy - why is this?
- Do you have a bicycle? Do you think they are safer or less safe than motorbikes? Why/why not?
- Have you received many parking tickets in your life? What do you do with them?
- What is your opinion of horse riding? If you have never ridden one would you like to? Why/why not?
- Parking is a problem in many cities. How could parking in your city be improved?
- What annoys you most when you are driving?
- What is your favourite make of car? Why? Have you driven many different makes?
- What is the penalty for speeding in your country?
Hotels[edit | edit source]
- What do you like or dislike about staying at hotels?
- Where are the best hotels in your area? What's so good about them?
- Where are the cheapest hotels in your area? Why are they cheap?
- What differences would you expect between a four-star and a two-star hotel?
- Do hotels usually have a high staff turnover? Why should this be?
- Do people generally prefer to eat in hotels or in restaurants? Why?
By sea[edit | edit source]
- Have you ever been on a cruise?
- If so, tell us about your experience?
- If not, would you ever consider going on a cruise? Why or why not?
- Where did you go?
- What activities were available on the ship?
- What did you like best about the cruise?
- What did you like least about being on the ship?
- Would you recommend that a friend take a cruise? Why or why not?
- If you could take another cruise in the future, where would you like to go?
Global[edit | edit source]
- What NATURAL wonders could you see in the following continents or sub-continents? Africa, Asia, India, Australia, North America, South America, Europe, Antarctica.
- Which are the most interesting cities in the following continents or sub-continents? Africa, Asia, India, Australia, North America, South America, Europe.
- How many ways of travelling around the world can you think of? Which would be the most relaxing? Which would you prefer?
- If you were travelling round the world, which three destinations would be “must sees”? Any reason why?
- If you were travelling round the world, are there any places you would definitely wish to avoid? Why?
- Do you usually try to bring back interesting souvenirs from your holidays? What sort of things have you brought back?
- When you are in another country, do you usually buy a phrase book to attempt to speak the local language? Why/why not?
- What would the advantages and disadvantages of living permanently in another country?
See also[edit | edit source]
- Accessibility conversation questions
- Ageing conversation questions
- Camping conversation questions
- Cars conversation questions
- European Union conversation questions
- Flying conversation questions
- Holidays conversation questions
- Hotels conversation questions
- Pandemic conversation questions
- Public transport conversation questions
- Stress conversation questions
- Weather conversation questions