The letter T, lower case t (pronounced /tiː/) normally represents an unvoiced alveolar stop /t/.
[Insert examples here].
Silent T[edit | edit source]
- Exceptionally "t" can be silent.
- castle, Christmas, fasten, listen, mustn't, mortgage, , whistle
- In many words of French origin final "t" is silent
- "tth" as /θ/: Matthew (the spelling "Mathew" also exists)
- Variant pronunciations
- postpone /pəʊstˈpəʊn, pəʊsˈpəʊn, pəsˈpəʊnBrE/
T in combinations[edit | edit source]
- "tch" as /tʃ/: catch, kitchen, match, pitch, stretch, switch, watch
- "te" as /tʃ/: righteous /ˈraɪtʃəs/
- "th": see Decoding exercises: "th"
- "ti" followed by a vowel
- in many cases it sounds /ʃ/
- as "tio": action - condition - definition - education - function - generation - information - location - mention - nation - option - question - rational - station - tradition - variation
- as "tia": essential - initial - initiative - partial - potential - substantial
- as "tie": patience - patient - quotient
- "ti" as /tʃ/: Christian - combustion - congestion - digestion - question - suggestion
- "ti" as /ʒ/: equation
- of course there is "ti" as /tɪ/ or /tiː/: activities - cities - parties - tiara
- "tie" as /tɪə/: frontier
- "tu" as /tʃuː/: actual - situation
- "tu" as /tʃə/: century - cultural - eventually - natural
- "tu" as /dʒuː/ or /dʒə/: congratulate /kənˈgrætʃəleɪt/ or sometimes /kənˈgrædʒəleɪt/AmE
- "tu" as /tjuː/ or /tuː/AmE (exception to the exception): constitution - costume - gratitude - gratuitous - institution - intuition - magnitude - multitude - Neptune - obtuse
- as /tʃər/: adventure - capture - culture - feature - future - nature - furniture - future - literature - manufacture - picture - structure - temperature
- as /tʃʊər/: mature
- "tz" as /ts/
- pretzel, Pulitzer, quartz, Switzerland, waltz /wɔːls, wɔːlts/
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia, Mathew.