Stress conversation questions
Stress[edit | edit source]
- What is stress?
Causes of stress[edit | edit source]
- How many different causes of stress can you think of?
- Can you think of any circumstances when leisure activities cause you stress?
- Rate the following activities from 0 (no stress) to 10 (maximum stress):
- making a speech to less than 10 people.
- making a speech to over 50 people.
- preparing for an exam.
- Sitting an exam.
- Buying a cup of coffee.
- Striking up a conversation with a stranger.
- Taking a plane flight.
- Asking somebody to dance.
- Answering the phone.
- Asking somebody out on a first date.
- Trying to work out why your computer won't work.
- Speaking in English
- Attending a job interview.
- Compare you scores with your partner or the rest of the class. Who is the most easily stressed?
Symptoms of stress[edit | edit source]
- Do you know how to recognize stress in yourself? In other people?
- Many of us probably feel the typical symptoms of stress at some time or another. Isolated, they may not mean much, but together they may suggest a degree of stress. How often do you have the following symptoms:
- Feeling tired during the day.
- Sleeping badly.
- A painful stomach.
- Feeling nervous or worried about things in general.
- Feeling irritable or becoming angry more easily.
- Difficulty in concentrating.
Treatment of stress[edit | edit source]
- What would you recommend to someone you know who is under stress?
- How do you think you could reduce stress or prevent stress in your life?
- Are there certain times of year when you feel more stress? When and why?
- Have you ever felt you were under a lot of stress? What did you do to overcome it?
- Which of the following do you think would be the best general advice?
- just wait for it to go away
- do sport
- have a massage
- go to the doctor for some sort of medication
- go to a psychologist to learn relaxation techniques
- Spend more time in the pub
- consider what is stressing you and take action to eliminate it (if you can).
- Something else
- Some people "solve" their stress by compulsive buying. Have you ever gone on a shopping spree? Do you know anyone who has? What did you/they buy? Did it make you feel better?
The positive side[edit | edit source]
- A certain level of stress can be positive. Can you think of any cases where stress can be useful or even necessary?
- Do you like being busy?