Stereotypes conversation questions
This is a potentially controversial subjeSuperscript textct in some societies, and consequently some teachers may want to carefully consider if they wish to use all of these questions.
- Think of some countries. What are the national stereotypes for these countries?
- What about your own country?
- Think of some jobs. What are the stereotypes surrounding those jobs?
- Think of some different groups in society (e.g. old people, children, middle-aged men, teenagers, gay people). What are the stereotypes about people who belong to those groups?
- Which stereotypes are positive, negative or neutral?
- Which stereotypes are offensive?
- Why do people have stereotypes?
- Are stereotypes potentially useful? How?
- How do stereotypes lead to prejudice? How can we stop stereotypes leading to prejudice?