Sport conversation questions
- Do you like to exercise?
- How often do you exercise? What do you do?
- What exactly is a sport?
- Do you think fishing is a sport? What about chess, darts or pool?
- Do you prefer playing or watching sports?
- Do you prefer watching sports at the stadium, at home on TV, or in a bar on a giant screen?
- If your boss were to suggest that your group at work took up a team sport in order to help you work better as a team at work, how would you react?
- How many hours of sport a week should children do at school?
- Do you think sports stars should be paid such high salaries? What are the arguments for and against?
- Have you ever played a sport at a high or professional level?
- Would you like to be a professional sportsman or woman? What would be the advantages or disadvantages?
- What differences do you think there are between team sports and individual sports?
- An "extreme sport" is a sport which is dangerous (or at least appears dangerous) to the person practicing it. What is your opinion of these?
- The International Olympic Committee recognizes bridge and ballroom dancing as official sports, which means that they may one day be included in the Olympics. What is your opinion? Are there any sports that you think should be included as an Olympic sport?
- Doping is widespread in many professional sports. Do you think it's a necessary evil?
- What do you think makes athletes take banned substances or indulge in blood transfusions, when they know that there is a risk to their health - and to their career, if caught?
- High-level athletes are strictly monitored by specialist teams of doctors and other medical staff. If an athlete gives a positive in a doping control, do you think that only the athlete should be sanctioned, or should their medical staff be punished as well?
A "blood sport" is a sport in which an animal is killed or injured. What is your opinion of these? Using the broadest possible definition of "blood sport" they include the sports listed below. Consider them individually and decide if they are justified or not. Explain why.
- Fishing. (Perhaps to eat them, perhaps not.)
- Shooting birds. (Presumably to eat them.)
- Hunting large animals like deer. (Presumably to eat them.)
- Fox hunting. (For pleasure?)
- Bullfighting. (For entertainment.)
- Dog-fighting. (To bet?)
- Cock-fighting. (To bet?)
A combat sport, or fighting sport, is a competitive contact sport that usually involves one-on-one combat. In many combat sports, a contestant wins by scoring more points than the opponent or by disabling the opponent.
- mixed martial arts
- boxing, wrestling
- Muay Thai
- Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
- Historical medieval battles
- What extreme sports do you know?
- Have you ever practiced any extreme sport?
- Why do you think people like risky sports?
- What's the difference between paragliding, hang gliding and skydiving?
- What equipment do you need to practice extreme sports? Is it expensive or cheap?
- What type of training is necessary to practice this type of sports?
- What do you know about: paragliding, parachuting, skydiving, bungee-jumping, zip-lining, hang gliding, white-water rafting, extreme skiing?
- If you were to try an extreme sport, which one would you try? Why?
- The Olympics conversation questions
- Bulleted list item