Spelling exercises: "er" vs "re"
- The following words are always spelled with "re" in British English and with "er" in American English.
- centre - fibre - litre - metre (unit of length) - sepulchre - spectre (ghost) - theatre
- Always "re"
- acre - hors d'ouvre - mediocre - ogre - Spectre (James Bond film)
- Always "er"
- after - alter - brother - consider - daughter - differ - ever - father - meter (device) - never - number - offer - order - other - over - soccer - under - voter - water
- deter - prefer - refer - transfer