Small talk conversation questions
In general[edit | edit source]
- How sociable/unsociable do you consider yourself?
- Are you a chatty person or do you only speak when you’re spoken to?
- Do you find it easy to make small talk? Can you always think of something "interesting" or “amusing" to say?
- Do you know people who are good at making small talk? What makes them good at it? Can you learn anything from them?
- How good are you at making small talk? Have you ever put your foot in it by making a remark that you later regretted?
Topics[edit | edit source]
Which of the following topics are useful for making small talk:
- the weather
- the current political situation
- the current financial crisis
- how expensive everything is these days
- the results of last night’s match
- the outcome of tonight’s match
Specific situations[edit | edit source]
In which of the following situations would you or wouldn’t you chat with a stranger:
- doctor’s waiting room
- waiting at the bus stop (if the bus is late/if there’s a strike)
- on the bus/train
- standing in the queue at the supermarket
- standing in the queue at the bank
- on a long train journey
- on a plane
- at a party
- at a business lunch
- Has anyone ever tried to chat you up at a party? Have you ever tried to chat anyone up at a party? What did you talk about? (Be specific: “Oh, this and that" is not an answer…) Did you/they score?
People[edit | edit source]
Which of the following people would/do you find it easier to chat with:
- your mother/father-in-law
- a taxi driver
- your doctor
- the policeman fining you for speeding/parking
- an old lady/man next to you in the queue at the bus stop
- a young man/woman next to you at the bus stop
- a shop assistant
- a bank teller
- with clients
- with your boss
- with your workmates/colleagues/classmates
As a host/hostess[edit | edit source]
- One of the tasks expected of the person hosting the event is that of being entertaining. How “good" do you think you are as a host/hostess in that way?
As a guest[edit | edit source]
- Do you tend to be the "life and soul" of the party, or do you prefer to leave that role to others?