Questionnaire conversation questions
Background[edit | edit source]
Questionnaires are increasingly present in our lives. From market research to job applications, from paper to online, the thirst for knowledge of our habits and preferences seems to know no bounds.
A questionnaire typically consists of a number of questions that a respondent has to answer in a set format. Questions can be open-ended (open format) and closed-ended (closed format). An open-ended question requires the respondent to formulate his or her own answer, whereas a closed-ended question requires choosing an answer from a given number of options.
Situations[edit | edit source]
- Have you ever filled in/out a questionnaire? If so, how many do you reckon you've done in your life? One or two? Three or four? Dozens?
- What sort of questionnaires have you been asked to complete?
- How useful do you think questionnaires are? If so much use is made of them, they must surely be effective?
- Have you ever had to answer questions corresponding to other cultures, for example, "You are at a baseball match and ..."
- Have you ever refused to participate in a questionnaire filling task? What reason(s) did you give?
- Are you more willing to respond to a questionnaire on your consumer habits than one on your political/personal/religious beliefs?
- What's your opinion of the questionnaires you've done? Were they effective in getting useful responses? Were they a waste of time?
- Have you ever got halfway through a questionnaire and suddenly realised that the information they're asking for doesn't correspond to what you were told at the beginning?
- Have you ever had to draw up a questionnaire for others to complete?
- Do you think there is a "correct" or "scientific" way of drawing up questionnaires, or do you think anyone can just note down a number of random questions?
- Sometimes organisations pretend to use questionnaires and then try to sell you a product at the end. What is your opinion of this tactic?
- What do you do if someone phones you up to carry out a questionnaire?