Presents conversation questions
There are presents and gifts for all sorts of occasions: wedding presents; birthday presents; Mother's Day presents; graduation gifts and so on.
- Do you like wrapping presents? Are you good at it? Do you make more of an effort at Christmas?
- Do you set a limit on how much you're going to spend on a present or do you just buy what you think the person will like?
- When you travel abroad, do people expect you to return with gifts? Do you ever buy last-minute gifts at the airport? Why/why not?
- Do you like choosing presents for people or is it something you find difficult and time-consuming?
- Do you prefer giving or receiving presents?
- What's the most original or unexpected present you've ever received?
- Do you buy presents for children before they are born?
- In your society, do people sometimes wait until a child is born before buying presents?
- Do you choose the colour of the baby's clothes depending on whether it's a boy or a girl?
- Do you buy/get any presents for St. Valentine's Day?
- Do you ever get presents that you don't like? What do you do/did with them?
- In some countries they give presents before Christmas and in others afterwards. What's the tradition in your country?
- Are there any gift-giving holidays in your country?
- Do you usually take a little present, something like flowers or a box of chocolates, with you when you go to visit someone?
- What value gifts are usually given as wedding presents in your society? Expensive? Inexpensive?
- What do you think about the idea of giving money as a wedding present?
- Should people return wedding presents if they get divorced? Why, why not?
- What do you think of the idea of wedding registries - a list of the presents the "happy couple" wants to receive?