Presents conversation questions
There are presents and gifts for all sorts of occasions: wedding presents; birthday presents; Mother’s Day presents; graduation gifts and so on.
General[edit | edit source]
- Do you like wrapping presents? Are you good at it? Do you make more of an effort at Christmas?
- Do you set a limit on how much you’re going to spend on a present or do you just buy what you think the person will like?
- When you travel abroad, do people expect you to return with gifts? Do you ever buy last-minute gifts at the airport? Why/why not?
- Do you like choosing presents for people or is it something you find difficult and time-consuming?
- Do you prefer giving or receiving presents?
- What’s the most original or unexpected present you’ve ever received?
- Do you buy presents for children before they are born?
- In your society, do people sometimes wait until a child is born before buying presents?
- Do you choose the colour of the baby’s clothes depending on whether it’s a boy or a girl?
- Do you buy/get any presents for St. Valentine’s Day?
- Do you ever get presents that you don’t like? What do/did you do with them?
- What was your last gift? How did you like it?
- How do you thank someone who gave you a gift?
- What kinds of gifts do you like to get?
- What was the best gift you ever received?
- Have you ever got a gift you didn’t like?
- Is there a special gift you like to get?
- Have you ever re-gifted something?
- What do you think of people who give gifts?
- What kinds of gifts do you like to give?
- Who was the last person you gave a gift to?
- What are the times of the year that you give gifts?
- What are some of the things that you do not give as gifts in your country?
- What gift will you give your boyfriend/girlfriend for their birthday?
- What gift do you recommend someone give in your culture?For children?For parents?For spouses?For boyfriend?For Girlfriend?
Holiday presents[edit | edit source]
- In some countries they give presents before Christmas and in others afterwards. What’s the tradition in your country?
- Are there any gift-giving holidays in your country?
Other presents[edit | edit source]
- Do you usually take a little present, something like flowers or a box of chocolates, with you when you go to visit someone?
Wedding presents[edit | edit source]
- What value gifts are usually given as wedding presents in your society? Expensive? Inexpensive?
- What do you think about the idea of giving money as a wedding present?
- Should people return wedding presents if they get divorced? Why, why not?
- What do you think of the idea of wedding registries - a list of the presents the "happy couple" wants to receive?