Poverty conversation questions
- How would you define poverty? What do you think causes it?
- Is poverty relative? Would people who are considered poor in one society be considered rich in another?
- Do you think it's possible to eradicate poverty in the world? In your country?
- Would it be mathematically possible to ensure that nobody earns less than the average wage?
- Which of the following factors do you think are most effective in the fight against poverty? Why/why not?
- Debt relief
- Development aid
- Economic growth
- Empowering women
- Fair trade
- Good governance
- Import substitution and export industries
- Land redistribution
- Do you think that it is a government's responsibility to provide welfare assistance or should it be the responsibility of charities? Why?
- It is often said that the rich are growing richer, and the poor are growing poorer. Do you agree? If so, why is it happening?
- Do you think that globally eliminating poverty could be possible? Is there enough money in the world?
- At what age do you think people should start working?
- If you have children, at what age would you accept that they could go to work? If they want to? If they don't want to?
- Can you think of any jobs that are more suitable for young people?
- Are there any jobs that you think children should not do?
- How common do you think child labour is?
- Do you know of any cases, i.e. countries/companies that use child labour?
- Do you think that globally eliminating child labour is possible? Why/why not?
- Do you think homelessness is a big problem?
- Are there many homeless people in your country?
- Does the government help them in any way? Do you think the government should help them?
- Under what circumstances should the government help people?
- How do you feel when you see people who live on the street?
- Do you think that people who live on the street are to blame for their situation?
- Have you ever had a conversation with a homeless person? What did they tell you? What would you expect them to tell you?
- Should the government/local authorities provide free housing for homeless people?
- How would your life change if you lost your home?
- How would you spend your time if you became homeless?