Party conversation questions
Parties[edit | edit source]
- How do you feel about going to parties?
Birthday parties[edit | edit source]
- When was the last time you went to a birthday party? Whose birthday was it?
- In your country, what is the birthday gift giving tradition amongst adults?
- In your country do people put a candle for every year of age on a birthday cake? Up to what age? Are there any special traditions associated with blowing out the candles?
- How do people usually celebrate birthdays in your country?
- Do you like party?
Christmas parties[edit | edit source]
- Does your company organise a Christmas party? What sort of things happen?
- Over how many days does the Christmas celebration stretch in your society?
- Do you hold a Christmas party at home? Describe it.
Special parties[edit | edit source]
- Have you ever been to a fancy-dress partyBrE or costume partyAmE? What did you go as?
- Have you ever been to a pyjamaBrE/pajamaAmE party? How long ago?
- Have you ever been to a hen partyBrE or bachelorette partyAmE? What happens at hen parties in your country?
- Have you ever been on a stag nightBrE or bachelor partyAmE? What happens on stag nights in your country?
- Have you ever been to a Tupperware party or other promotional party? What was being sold? Did you buy anything?
Arrival and departure[edit | edit source]
- Have you ever gate-crashed a party? Why did you? Did you get away with it?
- Have you ever seen other people gate-crashing? What happened to them? Did they get thrown out?
- Do you prefer to arrive early, on time or just turn up at any time?
- How do you leave a group in your society? Does every body kiss everybody else, shake hands …
Party activities[edit | edit source]
- What games do you play at parties?
- Have you ever had too much to drink at a party? What happened?
- Are you the typical "life and soul" of a party, or do you prefer to stand in a corner and observe the other people?
- Do you dance as much as you can at parties?
- Have you, or anyone you know, ever gone to a party specifically to score? Were you/they successful?
- Has anyone ever tried to chat you up at a party? Have you ever tried to chat anyone up at a party? Did you/they score? If you have a partner, did they notice? What did they do/say?
As a host/hostess[edit | edit source]
- When was the last time you organised a party? Would you do it again? Why/why not?
- How many people did you invite? How many turned up?
- Were you worried about running out of food or drink? Did you run out, and if so, what did you do about it?
- Did you prepare everything yourself or did you have someone to help you?
- Have you ever hired professionals to serve at or cater for a party? Would you do it again?
Vocabulary[edit | edit source]
- bachelor partyAmE or stag night:BrE a party for a man who is going to marry that is attended by men only.
- bachelorette partyAmE or hen party:BrE a party for a woman who is going to marry that is attended by women only.
- chat-up: to speak to someone in order to have sex with him or her
- gatecrash or gate-crash: to go to a party unexpected and with no invitation
- the life and soul of the party: the most interesting person there
- score: find a sexual partner
See also[edit | edit source]
- Alcohol conversation questions
- Barbecues conversation questions
- Body language conversation questions
- Bonfire Night conversation questions
- Christmas conversation questions
- Getting to know you conversation questions
- Halloween conversation questions
- Music conversation questions
- Relationships conversation questions
- Small talk conversation questions
- Weddings conversation questions