Magic E[edit | edit source]
With Magic E, this reliable represents the diphthong /əʊ/ sound.
- B: lobe
- D lode
- gu: rogue
- K: woke
- L: stole
- M: home
- N: hone
- P: hope
- ph: trophy
- qu: roque, toque
- S: hose, nose
- T: note, rote
- Th: clothe
- V: stove
- Z: froze, doze, cloze.
Exceptions[edit | edit source]
- With gu but ending -logue, e.g. dialogue, or -gogue, e.g. synagogue, produces a short O sound.
- With qu, often but not always, e.g. baroque, monocoque, etc.
- With ch, when of French origin, with ch pronounced as sh sound e.g. brioche, cloche.
- High frequency words: above, dove (the bird), some, done, gone, love, none some, glove, shove
- one is /ˈwɒn/, shone is /ˈʃɒn/
- move /mu:v/ and prove /pru:v/.
- Some pronunciations of scone.
Not containing this digraph[edit | edit source]
E is pronounced in words of Greek origin: apostrophe, catastrophe, epitome, hyperbole. And also adobe.