Nuclear energy conversation questions
Nuclear energy[edit | edit source]
- What opinion do environmentalists have about nuclear energy?
- Do any environmental organisations support nuclear energy?
- What are the disadvantages of nuclear energy?
- What are the advantages of nuclear power?
- Do you think that nuclear power plants are inherently unstable?
- Do you think that nuclear power stations could literally "blow up" like a nuclear bomb?
- What options do we have for dealing with nuclear waste?
- Which is more dangerous to human life over the next two hundred years - spent nuclear fuel or carbon dioxide/global warming?
- Would you rather live next to a nuclear power plant than a coal-fired one? Why?
- Could nuclear energy help the third world to develop carbon-free economies?
- No energy source is completely carbon free. In what parts of the nuclear generation process is carbon dioxide released?
- Given the fact that human beings make mistakes and that low-probability unexpected accidents and events occur - should we simply accept that we will have a significant nuclear accident every twenty to thirty years?
- Is nuclear energy a boon or a bane for society?
Other considerations[edit | edit source]
- What percentage of the world’s energy could be obtained from renewable sources?
- If less than 100% can be obtained from renewable sources, from where should the rest be obtained?
- Should cars be banned because they pollute the environment? Are there any other reasons for banning cars?
- Do coal fired stations produce any other problem in addition to carbon dioxide?
- Do dams cause problems? What are they?
Nuclear weapons[edit | edit source]
- Does nuclear power lead inevitably to nuclear weapons?
- Some countries have nuclear weapons and others do not. Can some countries be "trusted" with nuclear weapons and others not? If so, on what should we base this trust?
- What would be the consequences of a nuclear war?
- Do you think that nuclear weapons have kept the peace, or do you think they have been a threat to peace?
- If a country has nuclear weapons do you think it is more likely to be attacked or less likely to be attacked?
For the more technically minded[edit | edit source]
(These questions will really only work with students who actually know something about the subject.)
- What is the difference between nuclear fusion and nuclear fission?
- What do the words "half life" mean?
- What is the difference between normal hydrogen, deuterium and tritium?
- What does "critical mass" refer to?
- What is a "chain reaction" in nuclear terms?
- Is there any difference between "radiation" and "nuclear radiation" - what is it?
- What is the difference between alpha, beta, gamma radiation and neutron radiation? Which are the most dangerous?
- One sometimes hears reference to "cold fusion" - what was it?
See also[edit | edit source]
- Danger conversation questions
- Environment conversation questions
- Global warming conversation questions
- Nimbyism conversation questions
- Renewable energy conversation questions
[edit | edit source]
Nuclear power debate A short article which sets out the arguments for and against.