New Year conversation questions
New Year's Eve
- How is New Year's Eve celebrated in your country?
- What do you know about how New Year is celebrated in other countries?
- In Spain, on New Year's Eve, people eat twelve grapes in time with the chimes of the clock at midnight. What happens in your country when the clock strikes twelve?
- Are any special foods eaten at the New Year in your country?
New Year's Day
- What did you (or will you) have for lunch on New Year’s Day?
- What are the typical activities on New Year's Day in your country?
- Is New Year's Day a holiday in your country?
- Are any particular films always shown on New Year's Day?
- At what time do you usually get up (or go to bed) on New Year's day?
- What do you think was the best film of the last year?
- What do you think was the most significant news story of the year?
- What do you think was the most important medical issue of the year?
- What do you think was the most significant political event of the year?
- How much did your English improve over the year?
- How would you describe last year's weather?
- Was there anything which you spent money on last year which you now regret?
- Describe one thing which you bought last year which you would recommend to others?
- What do you think was your best decision last year?
- Have you made any New Year's resolutions? What are they?
- Do you usually make New Year's resolutions? What resolutions did you make last year?
- In what way, if any, will the way that you study English change in the New Year?
- Do you have any holiday plans for the coming year? Is there anywhere you'd especially like to visit?
- Is there any special treat that you are planning to give yourself this year - New TV, computer, special holiday, car etc.
- When do the sales begin in your country?
- Do you go to the sales?
- Do you think that you really get reductions or do you think the the shops just manipulate the prices a little?