New Year conversation questions
New Year's Eve[edit | edit source]
- How is New Year's Eve celebrated in your country?
- In Spain, on New Year's Eve, people eat twelve grapes in time with the chimes of the clock at midnight. What happens in your country when the clock strikes twelve?
- Are any special foods eaten at the New Year in your country?
New Year's Day[edit | edit source]
- What did you have for your main meal on New Year’s Day?
- What are the typical activities on New Year's Day in your country?
- Is New Year's Day a holiday in your country?
- Are any particular films always shown on New Year's Day?
- At what time do you usually get up (or go to bed) on New Year's day?
Looking back[edit | edit source]
- What do you think was the best film of the last year?
- What do you think was the most significant news story of the year?
- How much did your English improve over the year?
- Was there anything which you spent money on last year which you now regret?
- Was there anything which you spent money on last year that changed your life for the better?
- What do you think was your best decision last year?
Looking forward[edit | edit source]
- Have you made any New Year's resolutions? What are they?
- Do you usually make New Year's resolutions? What resolutions did you make last year?
- In what way, if any, will the way that you study English change in the New Year?
- Do you have any holiday plans for the coming year? Is there anywhere you'd especially like to visit?
- Is there any special treat that you are planning to give yourself this year? (New TV, computer, special holiday, car etc.)
The sales[edit | edit source]
- Do you typically have big sales at any time of year in your home country? When do the sales begin?
- Do you go to the sales? Why or why not?
- Do you think that you save money by shopping at sales?