Music conversation questions
- How important is music in your life?
- Why do we listen to music?
- What are the advantages of listening to music?
- If music were removed from the world, how would you feel?
- What type of music do you most like to listen to?
- Do you have a favourite band or singer? Why do you like them?
- What is your least favourite type of music?
- Do you feel that you have a special connection with some types of music? Which types?
- Do you hum to yourself or whistle when you're feeling cheerful?
- Do you ever find yourself humming/whistling tunes to songs that you really hate?
- Does it irritate you when someone else is whistling? And if they whistle out of tune?
- When do you listen to music?
- How much time do you spend listening to music each day or week?
- Is there a song that makes you emotional?
- What is the traditional music in your country like? Is it related to any traditional dance forms?
- Do you sometimes feel like dancing when you hear music? Under what circumstances do you dance?
- When was the last time you went to a discotheque? How often do you go?
- Do you ever go out to listen to music live? When was the last time you went to a concert/gig?
- Gig /ɡɪɡ/ is a slang word than means live performance.
- Have you ever been to an outdoor concert? Were there many people? What was the weather like?
- Do you download music for free from the internet? What do you think of the morality of this?
- The recording industry, at least as regards popular music in general, has gone from selling 45s (singles) in the 1950s and early 60s, to LPs (and concept albums) in the 70s and 80s. Consumers now seem to have gone back to listening to individual songs (as singles) they download from internet. Why do you think this is?
- With the increasing rise of downloading from the internet, what do you think the future of the music industry is?
- Do you feel different emotions when different instruments are being played?
- What is your taste in music?
- Has it changed in time?
- Would you recommend it to someone?
- How many ...
- MP3 tracks do you have?
- music CDs do you have?
- music cassette tapes do you have?
- music vinyl records (LPs, EPs and 45s) do you have?
- What sort of a singer are you?
- Have you ever tried singing in a karaoke bar? What was the experience like?
- Do you ever sing while taking a shower or having a bath? Why is this popular? Do you sing in tune?
- Are you able to play any musical instrument? What?
- Is there any musical instrument you would like to play? What and why?
- Are you able to read music? If so, when did you learn?
At home/on the move
- What sort of system do you have for playing music at home?
- Do you ever play music on your computer while you're using it or do you find this a distraction? Do you play CDs or MP3s?
- Do you enjoy watching music videos? What sort of music videos do you enjoy most?
- Do you prefer to listen to music you own, or to listen to the radio? How is the experience different in each case?
- Does music help you to concentrate while you're doing other things or do you find it a distraction? Is the experience different if the music you can hear is not your kind of music?
- Do you usually listen to music while driving? Do you have special songs/music that you choose for driving long distances?
- Do you listen to music when you go cycling/jogging or when you're working out at the gym?
- Do you prefer to listen to music coming from loudspeakers, using headphones or earphones? How does the experience differ?
- Do you ever listen to your favorite song when you are mad, upset or sad? How does doing this help you?
- Do you think that violent or racist song lyrics should be censored? Can you think of an example?
- What connection, if any, do you think there is between drugs and music?
- How important are lyrics? If you take away the lyrics to a rap, what are you left with? If you add lyrics to an instrumental?
- Do you know the lyrics to all the songs you like?
- A typical comment students make is that they like the Beatles, for example, but they were a bit disappointed when they learnt enough English to understand the lyrics. Are there any songs you like that are sung in a language you don't understand?
- Many operas are in French, Italian or German. If you listen to opera, do you understand the libretto (text) or are you happy to get the gist (main idea)?
- Why do so many people blame music lyrics for other reasons such as suicide? Why is heavy metal to blame?
- Why do so people stereotype heavy metal, rock, and alternative as satanic music? Is there some heavy metal bands, rock bands, or alternative bands that are satanic or have satanic ties?