For students at lower levels, the aim of the game is not so much the correct spelling of simple words, but rather to revise word order and other grammatical features without students feeling that they are going over the same boring old structures again. For higher level students, idioms and famous sayings are ideally suited to this game. For the more musically inclined, "famous song titles" is always a good variation.
Based on a language feature called redundancy, as explained by Steven Pinker in the following example: "yxx cxn xndxrstxnd whxt x xm wrxtxng xvxn xf x rxplxcx xll thx vxwxls wxth xn “x” – bt t gts hrdr f y dn’t vn knw whr th vwls r."
Vowels were replaced by "_" instead of "x" for ease of reading.
- D_d y__ h_v_ _ g__d w__k_nd?
- Th_y w_nt __t f_r d_nn_r.
- Th_r_ w_ll n_v_r b_ _n_th_r y__.
- Wh_t _r_ y__ d__ng?
- H_ d_dn't f_n_sh th_ r_p_rt _n t_m_.
- Sh_ s__d sh_ w__ld tr_ t_ c_m_ __rl__r t_m_rr_w.
- B___t_ _s _n th_ _y_ _f th_ b_h_ld_r.
- Th_t's th_ l_st t_m_ _ _v_r tr_ t_ d_ h_m _ f_v__r!
- W_'r_ st_ll w__t_ng f_r th_m t_ s_nd _s th_ f_n_l r_p_rt.
- L_t m_ kn_w _s s__n _s _t _rr_v_s.
- L_c_ _n th_ sk_ w_th d__m_nds.
- W_th _ l_ttl_ h_lp fr_m m_ fr__nds.
- Str_ng_rs _n th_ n_ght.
- Pinker, Steven The Language Instinct Harper Perennial ISBN 0-06-095833-2