Internet conversation questions
Internet[edit | edit source]
- What sort of internet connection do you have? How reliable is it? Have you ever considered changing your ISP (internet service provider) at home or your data plan in your phone?
- How many hours a day or a week do you spend on the net when you are not working?
- Some people suggest that the internet will kill off paper newspapers. What do you think of this suggestion?
- Do you use Google Maps or Waze to plan a route? Is it easy to follow? Which app do you prefer?
- Do you ever download podcasts from the net? Have you ever tried listening to English podcasts?
- Do you think that mobile devices will ever become as easy to use as printed books?
- How much spam do you receive in a week? Have you ever answered a spam e-mail?
- Has your computer ever been infected by a virus? What happened?
- Do you have many passwords? Do you have any tricks for remembering them?
- Do you think the web is a good place to check weather forecasts? Which site do you use?
- Setting up websites and wikis on the internet costs money. If a good site gets no income from advertising, what would you do if you were asked to make a small contribution to ensure that it continued to exist?
Downloading[edit | edit source]
- Do you download films or music from the internet? What do you think of the morality of this?
- Some European governments want to cut off internet access for people who regularly download films or music from the net. What do you think of this proposal?
- If you download films, do you watch them on your computer or transfer them by some means to your TV. How do you do this?
- Do you use Netflix? Has it replaced other forms of contents for you (TV, downloading, YouTube)?
Internet shopping and banking[edit | edit source]
- Do you often buy things over the net?
- What sort of things do you buy?
- Do you think that some businesses, such as travel agents, could be completely replaced by the net? Which kind of businesses?
- How does shopping over the net differ from buying things in a shop? How is it better or worse?
- Do you think internet shopping is secure? What precautions can/do you take?
- Have you ever used eBay? Was it efficient?
- Do you use the internet for your banking? If so, do you just check the state of your account or do you do anything more complicated?
Web 2.0[edit | edit source]
- At first the web was "read only" and you could only read things written by other people. Newer applications are called "Web 2.0". Web 2.0 applications allow you to put content on the web as well as read it. What Web 2.0 applications can you think of?
- Do you have an account on Facebook or or other social network? How often do you look at it? How much personal information do you include?
- Do you have a blog? What do you put on it? Do you read other people's blogs? What do you think of blogging?
- Do you use Twitter? Instagram? Tumblr? Can you explain what they are for?
- Do you ever use chat-rooms? If so, what chat-rooms do you use and who do you talk to?
- Do you often look at Youtube? What sort of things do you look at? Have you ever uploaded any content?
- What do you know about computer dating sites or apps? Do you know anyone who has used one?
- Have you used any online gambling sites? How do they work?
- Do you edit or use Wikipedia or any other wikis? What do you think of Wikipedia?
- What do you understand by the phrase "on-line bullying"? Is there a solution?