Reported speech, reports people’s speech and thoughts by giving our own version of a person’s exact words, as in He asked me what time it was.
Meaning[edit | edit source]
The function of reported speech is to report speech, and reporting thoughts. This serves an important social function. For example, if Alice says something to Bob, Bob can report Alice’s thoughts to a third party using reported speech.
Form[edit | edit source]
Using a subordinate clause[edit | edit source]
- Alice said she is a cyclist.
- Alice said she wanted to go to the park.
- Alice asked if I wanted to go to the park.
- Alice asked whether it was going to rain.
- Alice told me that she wanted to go to the park.
Using a causative verb[edit | edit source]
The alternative way of doing this is by using:
- Alice told me to go to the park.
- Alice asked me to go to the park.