- We have to find his Achilles heel;
- It’s in the lap of the gods;
- The die is cast = jacta alea est;
i. Idioms can be very formal or very informal:
- It’s raining cats and dogs!
- She was over the moon at the news!;
- We’ll have to throw in the towel;
- He just wanted to be a sleeping partner;
- One for the pot;
- Let’s have a quick one / have one for the road;
- His name rings a bell!
If idioms are frequently used, they become clichés.
For teachers who are interested in creating themed lists of idioms in class, a list of idioms associated with a particular subject can be created by using The free dictionary.