General formats[edit | edit source]
The IELTS tests come in two formats:
- Academic IELTS – tests a person’s ability to study in English at undergraduate or postgraduate level
- General Training IELTS – this module is suitable for people who are going to an English-speaking country to work or train at below undergraduate level. It is also used for immigration purposes to Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Components[edit | edit source]
IELTS has four components, representing the four language macroskills:
- IELTS Listening
- IELTS Academic Reading or IELTS General Reading
- IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Academic Writing or IELTS General Writing
Scoring[edit | edit source]
IELTS is scored on a band system between 0.0 and 9.0, with 0.5 increments. Five scores are given, one for each of the language macroskills and a combined average overall score.
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Cambridge English, IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
- Official site: https://www.ielts.org/