Hunting conversation questions
- Hunting has been central to many, if not most, societies almost since time immemorial and gradually became, with certain exceptions, more of a leisure activity for people with money. Do you know anybody who hunts?
- Have you ever been hunting? Do you still do so? If so, how often do you go?
- What are the typical animals people hunt in your country/region?
- Do you know anybody who has gone big game hunting?
- Do you know anybody who has been on a photo safari?
- Have you ever met a poacher?
- Some people consider hunting - as a sport - unacceptable, but don't object to fishing as a sport. What's your opinion?
- In 2012 it was revealed that the King of Spain, while holding the post of honorary president of the World Wildlife Fund in his country, occasionally hunted and killed elephants in Africa. Do you think his hunting was incompatible with post? Why?
Reasons for hunting
Consider these reasons for hunting. Are they fully acceptable, possibly acceptable or totally unacceptable?
- I enjoy killing animals, it's fun and relaxing.
- I kill animals for food for my family.
- I kill animals for their fur which is very expensive.
- I kill elephants for their ivory.
- I kill animals for their fur to keep me warm.
- I kill animals for trophies - I cut off their heads and stick them on the wall.
- I kill whales because it's my job.
- I only hunt animals which are pests.
- fur - game (wild animal) - ivory - leisure - pest - poacher - safari - trophy
- boar - duck - fox - goose - grouse /ɡraʊs/ - hare - partridge - pheasant /ˈfezənt/ - pigeon /ˈpɪdʒɪn/ - quail - rabbit - whale - woodcock
- Big-game hunting
- big five game: lion, African elephant, Cape buffalo, leopard, and rhinoceros
- big-game hunting also includes tiger, Asian elephant, antelope /ˈæntɪləʊp/, moose, elk, and deer