How much grammar a student should know
How much grammar a student should know is an area of debate.
- High level students certainly should have a better understanding than low level students.
- Students often dislike grammar, finding it uninteresting, confusing and not particularly helpful.
- Understanding grammar well does not usually translate into being able to produce language naturally.
- Knowing some grammar may increase the comprehensibility of texts, particularly readability.
- Students need to know some grammar to be able to use a dictionary (see using a dictionary). So they need to know parts of speech.
- Most language knowledge is implicit rather than explicit knowledge.
- Students may need to know some grammar if they are going to be tested on it.
Students may know grammar terms in their own language, but not in English.