Hospitals conversation questions
- Have you ever had to visit a hospital for a broken bone, stitches or something similar? What caused the accident?
- How many times have you been x-rayed? What do you think about the health implications of having lots of x-rays?
- Does your country have a National Health Service or do you need to pay for all treatment? Which system do you think is better?
- If you have a National Health Service is there much of a queue for treatment? How could queues be reduced?
- Would the quality and cost of health care be better if health insurance were left solely to the free market?
- Is there much difference between the quality of service in private and public hospitals?
- Is there anything immoral for someone to pay extra money to “get to the front of the queue” for an operation?
- If people are in hospital should they be obliged to pay something towards the cost of their care. For instance should they pay for the food they consume? Why/why not?
- How would you feel if you were taken to hospital in a foreign country? How do you think you would react if you couldn't speak the local language?
- How do you feel about visiting hospitals?
- Do you enjoy watching hospital dramas on television? Which ones can you remember?
- What do you do with any medicines “left over” from treatment? What should you do?
- If you feel ill do you simply get hold of some antibiotics? How easy is it in your country? What do you think of this practice?
- Do you think that computers are bad for people’s health? In what way?
- How often do you go to the dentist? How do you feel about visiting the dentist?
- Do you give blood? Should blood donors get preferential service from the health service?
- Could you describe the health service in your area?
- If you suddenly started to suffer from a strange pain – what would you do? Who would you speak to? Where would you go?
- How would you get a “second opinion” if you didn’t like or trust the first diagnosis?
- What is the procedure for making complaints about doctors?
- In the United Kingdom (and perhaps elsewhere) doctors are notorious for having illegible handwriting. Do they have the same problem in your country? Why should this be?
- Would you like to be a doctor? Why/why not?
- What – if anything - do you know about first aid?