Help:Archiving your User talk page: "move" style
This page describes in detail the "move" style of archiving. See also Help:Archive for brief descriptions of the two other archiving styles: (a) Delete, and (b) Copy and Paste.
If your User talk page is getting too bulky to manage easily, you may archive it by moving it to a subpage. At other wikis, users choose to archive when their user talk page reaches, say, ten or twenty topics, or once a month, but it's really up to you and may, or may not, depend on the volume of each page.
Don't forget to post a notice at the top of your "new" User talk page to inform other users of the archive, together with the corresponding link.
How to create a subpage in fewer than ten easy steps
The instructions below assume you have little or no experience of archiving at wikis. Don't worry if it doesn't work out as expected. All edits at teflpedia can be undone so you can't irretrievably damage anything and you won't have lost anything even if you can't actually find it. If you find need help, just pop in at the Teflpedia:Teachers' room and leave a message. Someone's sure to help you sort things out. (See "Troubleshooting below")
Archive pages/subpages should be named as follows: the name of your User talk page plus /Archive # (where '#' is the chronological number of the archive). If this is your first archive, you can simply copy and paste the following text in bold (making sure you insert your User name): User talk:(insert your name here)/Archive 1
- Step 1: Copy the text in bold above.
- Step 2: Click the tab at the top of your User talk page.
- Step 3: Paste the text in bold - DO NOT FORGET to add your username - in the space that says: "To new title"
- Step 4: Add the reason in the corresponding box.
- Step 5: Click the "Move page" tab.
You will now get a page that says: Move succeeded..."User talk:xxx" has been moved to "User talk:xxx/Archive 1". A redirect has been created.
- Step 6: Clicking on the first blue link ("User talk:xxx") will take you to that page which now contains a blue link to the archive.
- Step 7: DO NOT click on that blue link to the archive, but click instead on the tab at the top of the page, as if you were going to edit any other page normally.
- Step 8: Delete the existing text on the page (#REDIRECT [[User talk:xxx/Archive 1]]) and click "Save page" You will now have a "new", blank User talk page.
- Step 9: It's a good idea to go back to your archived User talk page and copy the welcoming message/header template you received when you first landed here at teflpedia, as it shows the relevant date and you can also copy and paste it when you want to welcome others.
Please don't forget that, unlike the content on your User page, the content on your User talk page may not be modified and must be archived as is.
In the unlikely event that things don't quite work out the way you expected, the bottom line is, as mentioned above, that nothing on a wiki gets lost or "destroyed". So you can always go back to where you were before by clicking thetab at the top of the page, go back to the version you want, click the tab and then "Save page" as if you were simply editing a page.
There is also, of course, the secret archive of doom! This step is to delete all unwanted text from your User Talk page. Just how to do that will remain an exercise for the reader who has strayed this far into the dark woods. Thetab on your pristinely swept talk page then becomes your archive link. Wikipedians may or may not object if you try this in their domain, but at Teflpedia, who's looking?