Getting to know you conversation questions
These are really general ELT icebreaker conversation questions. Unlike many of our other conversation questions they are pretty basic.
Getting to know you
- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- What time is it right now in your country?
- Tell me something about yourself.
Where are you from?
- What city/town/village did you live in?
- Did you like living there?
- Were you born there?
- What city were you born in?
- What was it like to grow up there?
- What other cities have you lived in?
- Main article: Family conversation questions
- Are you married? Do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend?
- How long have you been with your partner?
- Do you have any children? How old are they?
- What school do they go to?
- Do you have a big family?
- How many brothers and sisters do you have?
- Are they older or younger than you?
- What do they do?
- Main article: Pets conversation questions
- Do you have any pets?
- Why do you have/don't not have a pet?
- What is your pet's name?
- How old is it?
- Main article: Employment conversation questions
- Where do you work?
- What do you do?
- How long have you been working there?
- Do you like your job?
- How do you get to work?
- Do you have a car or do you usually take public transportation?
- How long does it take?
- Could you describe your job in more detail?
- What other jobs have you done?
- Do you live in a house or an apartment?
- Apartment - Do you live in a tall building?
- Do you live alone or with other people?
- Do you live with a roommate?
- What is he or she like?
- Do you get along with each other?
- What are your neighbors like?
- Do you talk to them?
- Do you like your neighborhood?
- Which part of town do you live in?
- What is the best thing about where you live?
- What is the worst thing about where you live?
- Where do you study?
- What are you studying?
- What subjects do you want to study?
- How do you get to school?
Secondary and primary school
- When you were young, what was your favorite subject?
- Do you still remember your friends from school?
- How were you back in school? Were you quiet? Studious? Troublemaker?
- Main article: Travel conversation questions
- Have you ever traveled around (your country)?
- Have you ever been to another country?
- Have you ever lived in another country?
- What countries or cities have you visited?
- What country or cities do you want to go to next?
- What is your favorite country?
- Do you like travelling?
- How often do you travel abroad (for pleasure)?
- Would you travel more if you could?
- When you travel, do you like to do it by car? by train? by airplane?
- Of all the places you have been, which is your favorite place?
- Do you prefer the beach or the mountains?
- Main article: Languages conversation questions
- How long have you been learning English?
- Why do you want to learn English?
- Why did you decide to take this course?
- What do you want to practise most? Grammar, reading, listening, speaking?
- Do you watch T.V or listen to music in English?
- Do you have time to do English homework?
- Do you speak any other languages besides English and your native language?
- What language would you like to speak?
- What language do you think would be the easiest to learn?
- What language do you think would be the most difficult to learn?
- What kind of things are you interested in?
- What do you like to watch on television?
- How much time do you watch TV in a day?
- How often do you go out?
- When was the last day you went to the movies? Name of movie.
- When was the last time you went shopping?
- What kind of music do you listen to?
- What is the radio station you listen to?
- If you could be somebody who would you like to be?
- What do you like to read?
- How many books do you read a year?
- Not many (one or two)
- Three or four
- More than half a dozen
- Do you do any sports?
- How often do you do sport or exercise?
- Which of the following do you know how to play? How often do you play them?
- Other board games, such as ludo/Monopoly/Scrabble
- Card games
- What is your goal in life?
- What do you think you will be doing five years from now?
- Where do you think you'll be living five years from now?
- Who do you respect the most?
- Who has had the most influence in your life?
- Would you like to be famous?
- Will learning English help you achieve your goals?