Getting to know you conversation questions
These are really general ELT icebreaker conversation questions. Unlike many of our other conversation questions they are pretty basic.
Getting to know you[edit | edit source]
Personal details[edit | edit source]
- What is your name?
- What is your surname?
- Can you spell that, please?
- How old are you?
- Where are you from?
- Where do you live?
- What’s your address?
- What’s your phone number?
- What’s your email address?
Family[edit | edit source]
- Do you have a big family?
- How many brothers and sisters do you have?
- Are they older or younger than you?
- Do you get along with your siblings? With your parents?
- Who do you have a closer relationship with?
- Are you married?
- Do you have any children?
- How old are they?
Pets[edit | edit source]
- Do you have any pets?
- What are their names?
- How old are they?
- Did you have any pets when you were a child?
Work[edit | edit source]
- Do you work or are you a student?
- What do you do?
- What’s your job title?
- Where do you work?
- Have you done this job all your working life?
- What’s your dream job?
- What did you want to be when you were a kid?
- Where would you like to work?
- What jobs are you interested in?
Secondary and primary school[edit | edit source]
- When you were young, what was your favorite subject?
- Do you still remember your friends from school?
- What were you like back at school? Were you quiet? Studious? A troublemaker? Teacher’s pet?
- Did you enjoy primary school? Why?
- Do you have any secondary school qualifications?
- What was the best thing about secondary school?
- What is your highest qualification?
- Which subject did you get the best grade in at school?
Hobbies/interests[edit | edit source]
- What kind of things are you interested in?
- Do you have any hobbies?
- What do you do in your free time?
- If you had more time, what pastimes would you take up?
- Do you do enough physical exercise?
- What were your hobbies when you were young?
Goals[edit | edit source]
- What was your dream job when you were a child?
- What is your goal in life?
- Do you have any short term goals?