Films conversation questions
- What kinds of films do you like to watch?
- What kinds of films do you not like to watch?
- Do you prefer fiction or non-fiction films?
- Do you think there is such a thing as a "woman's film" (aka chick flick) or a "man's film"? If so, how do you think they differ?
- Do you have a favourite film which you have seen more than once?
- What is the best film you have ever seen? Why did you like it?
- What is the worst film you have ever seen? Why did you dislike it?
- What film have you have seen most recently? Talk about it.
- Do you cry when you watch sad films? What was the last film that made you cry? Why was it so sad?
- Are there any other kinds of emotions that you feel when watching films?
- Do you think that many comedies are actually "funny"? What was the last film you saw that made you laugh?
- Do you think that different cultures have a different sense of humour?
- Is it easy to tell the difference between American and European films. What are the usual differences?
- Which do you prefer, videos (DVDs, Netflix) or the cinema. Why? How is the experience different?
- What does it cost to rent a film or a subscription to Netflix compared with going to the cinema?
- Do you like to rent videos? If so, how often do you rent them?
- Do you subscribe to Netflix? If so, how often do you see Netflix films?
- Do you download films or TV series from the internet? What do you think of this practice?
Dubbing and subtitles
- What impact, if any, do you think subtitling films has on language learning?
- If you want to learn a foreign language which would be better - a film subtitled in your language, or a film subtitled in the original language? Why?
- Do you think that subtitles are irritating to the eye. Do they prevent you from following the action of the film?
- Do you think that you lose something from the film if you can’t hear the actor’s real voice? What do you lose?
- Do you agree that it is more realistic to dub films than subtitle them?
- Do you think that films should never be dubbed?
- Do you think that reading is slower than listening?
- (Question useful where all films are dubbed) What would happen if all foreign films were subtitled and not dubbed? Would people continue going to the cinema?
- (Question useful where all films, except children's films, are subtitled) What would happen if all foreign films were dubbed and not subtitled? Would people continue going to the cinema?
- What impact do you think the dubbing industry has on the local film industry?
- Should the local film industry be subsidised? Should there be some legal obligation which would force cinemas or TV channels to show local films?
- What was your opinion of the last Oscar winning films?
- Which films do you think will win Oscars this year?
Festivals and cinema awards
- Are there any national film awards in your country?
- Are there any important film festivals?
- Do you think that such festivals are important for the film industry?
- Some people think that certain films are made expressly to be presented at film festivals. Do you agree and, if so, why?