✨Creating an account only takes 20 seconds, and doesn’t require any personal info.
If you’ve got one already, please log in.🤝
Extensive reading is reading that is performed extensively..
Contrast intensive reading.
Many graded readers are available for extensive reading.
The advantages are:
- This really supports language acquisition
- It can be pleasurable for the students.
The disadvantages are:
- This is time-consuming
- Low level students might not have good enough English for anything particularly interesting
- Appropriate extensive reading material might not be readily available.
- If material is available, students might not know how to find it.
- Students may not be self-motivated enough.
Further reading[edit | edit source]
For further reading see:
- Day, R. and Bamford, J. (1998). Extensive Reading in the Second Language Classroom. Cambridge University Press.