Decoding the letter W
Exceptions[edit | edit source]
- Silent "w" (see also W in combinations, below)
- Rwanda /ruːˈɑːndə, ruːˈændə/
W in combinations[edit | edit source]
- "aw" normally sounds /ɔː/
- awful - draw - law - raw - saw
- Exceptions (as "a" + "w"): away - aware - award - Delaware - Hawaii
- "ew" normally sounds /juː/ or /uː/. See main article IPA phoneme /uː/.
- As /uː/: blew - brew - chew - crew - drew - jewel - screw - threw
- As /juː/ or /uː/: knew - new - stew
- As /juː/: few
- "ow". See main article: Decoding exercises: "ow"
- /əʊ/: know - row - window
- /aʊ/: brown - down - towel
- /ɒ/: knowledge
- "wr" sounds like "r"
- wrap - wrapper - wrist - write - wrong
- "wh" in contemporary English in most dialects is identical to "w".
- what - wheel - when - where - while - whisper - white - whopper - why
- Exceptions as /h/: who - whole - whose
Homophones[edit | edit source]
- wheel - we'll; wrap - rap; wright - right - rite - write;
- aloud - allowed; flour - flower; threw - through