Decoding exercises: "urr"
The letter U in the sequence "urr" normally sounds /ʌ/ in Received Pronunciation (as in hurry) and in derived words it sounds /ɜː/ as in furry.
Common words[edit | edit source]
- RP /ʌ/, GA /ɜː/: current, currency, hurry
- RP and GA /ɜː/: occurred, occurring
- As /ə/: surround
Less common words[edit | edit source]
- RP /ʌ/, GA /ɜː/: burrow, burrowing, concurrence, concurrent, currant, curry, flurry, hurricane, recurrence, surreptitious, surrogate
- RP and GA /ɜː/: blurred, blurring, blurry, concurred, concurring, furry, purr, purred, purring, recurred, recurring
- As /ə/: curriculum, hurrah, insurrection, resurrection, surreal, surrender, surroundings
- As /ʊ/: burrito
Homophones[edit | edit source]
- currant - current
References[edit | edit source]