Decoding exercises: "urV" and "urrV"
The letter U in the sequence "urr" normally sounds /ʌ/ in Received Pronunciation (as in hurry), in derived words it sounds /ɜː/ (as in furry) and it sounds /ə/ when unstressed (as in surrender).
In General American "urr" sounds /ɜːr/ or /ər/. In this accent "hurry" and "furry" rhyme.
The following table shows the sounds of "urV" and "urrV" in a stressed syllable. Exceptions, such as /ə/, are shown in the examples.
Examples[edit | edit source]
- /jʊə/: curable - curative - mural - purity - security
- /jʊə,BrE ʊəAmE/: during
- /ər/: featuring - guttural - measuring - picturing - pressuring - structuring
- /jər/: accurate
- /ʊ/: guru
- /ʌ,BrE ɜːAmE/: concurrence - concurrent - currant - current - currency - curry - flurry - hurricane - hurry - recurrence - surrogate
- /ɜː/: blurring - blurry - concurring - furry - purring
- /ə/: curriculum - resurrection - surrender - surround - surroundings
Variant pronunciations[edit | edit source]
- figurative /ˈfɪɡərətɪv,BrE ˈfɪɡjərətɪvAmE/
- natural /ˈnætʃərəl, ˈnætʃrəl/
- assurance /əˈʃʊərəns, əˈʃɔːrənsBrE/
Spelling anomalies[edit | edit source]
- /e/: bury - burial
References[edit | edit source]