Decoding exercises: "ur"
The letter combination "ur" has several different pronunciations, mainly /ɜːr/ and /ər/. This article sets out some words teachers can use to help their students become more aware of the differences.
For "urr" see Decoding exercises: "urr".
- /ɜː/: burn - burst - church - curve - hurt - nurse - occur - purchase - purpose - return - turn - urge
- /jʊə/: pure - security
- /jʊə,BrE ʊəAmE/: during
- /ər/: century - culture - feature - future - measure - nature - picture - pressure - structure - surprise
- /jər/: accurate - failure
Variant pronunciations[edit | edit source]
- figure /ˈfɪɡər,BrE ˈfɪɡjərAmE/
- natural /ˈnætʃərəl, ˈnætʃrəl/
- sure /ʃʊər, ʃɔːrBrE/ - assurance /əˈʃʊərəns, əˈʃɔːrənsBrE/
Spelling anomalies[edit | edit source]
- /e/: bury - burial