Decoding exercises: "orr"
The letter O in the sequence "orr" normally sounds /ɒ/ in Received Pronunciation (as in borrow). In derived words it sounds /ɔː/ as in abhorring. However from "abhor" /əbˈhɔːr/ we also get "abhorrent" /əbˈhɒrənt/.
- As /ɒ/,BrE /ɔː/AmE: correspond
- As /ɒ/,BrE /ɑː/AmE: borrow - sorry - tomorrow
- As /ə/: correct
- As /ʌ/ or /ɜː/: worry /ˈwʌriː,BrE ˈwɜːriːAmE/
Less common words
- As /ɒ/,BrE /ɔː/AmE: abhorrent - horrible - horror - porridge - torrent - torrid
- As /ɒ/,BrE /ɑː/AmE: morrow (shortening of "tomorrow") - sorrow
- As /ɔː/: abhorred - abhorring
- As /ə/: correlation - correspondence - corrosion - corruption - haemorrhageBrE - hemorrhageAmE
- Wikipedia, English-language vowel changes before historic /r/ § Historic "short o" before intervocalic R. Retreived 14 May 2015.