Decoding exercises: "oa"
Followed by "r" the sound is always /ɔːr/ (in Received Pronunciation "r" is silent unless it's followed by a vowel).
- as /əʊ/: approach, boat, coach, coal, coat, coast, float, foam, goal, goat, load, loan, oats, road, roast, throat, toast
- at the end of the word: cocoa
- as /ɔː/: abroad, broad
- Followed by "r": boar, board, coarse, hoard, oar, roar, soar;
- Different syllables
- /əʊ.ə/: boa, coalition, coalesce, Noah, protozoan, psychoanalysis
- /əʊ.ɑː/: coati, koala
- /əʊ.æ/: coagulate, proactive, radioactive
- /əʊ.eɪ/: oasis
- /wɑː/: quinoa