Decoding exercises: "err"
The letter E in the sequence "err" normally sounds /e/ in Received Pronunciation (as in ferry) or /ə/ when unstressed (as in terrific). In derived words it sounds /ɜː/ (as in preferred).
- As /e/: error - terrible - terror - terrorist - territory
- As /ɜː/: preferred - preferring
Less common words
- As /e/: berry - cherry - errand - ferret - ferry - herring - interrogate - merry - sherry
- As /ɪ/: erratic - erroneous
- As /ə/: aberration - extraterrestrial - interrupt - interruption - interrogative - subterranean - terrific
- As /ɜː/: deferred - deferring - deterred - deterring - inferred - inferring - referral - referred - referring - transferred - transferring
- err /ɜːr, erAmE/ - erred /ɜːrd, erdAmE/ - erring /ɜːrɪŋ, erɪŋAmE/
- As /ə/,BrE /e/AmE: blackberry - blueberry - cranberry - raspberry - strawberry
- As /e/,BrE /ɜː/AmE: deterrent
Note that in Received Pronunciation only one /r/ is pronounced.
- As /ər.r/: overrate - override - underrate
- As /e/: Jerry - Terrence