Decoding exercises: "arV" and "arrV"
The sequence /ærV/, where V is any vowel, can be spelled "ar" (as in charity) or "arr" (as in carry).
The sequence /ɑːrV/ is very uncommon. It can be spelled "ar" in foreign words (as in sari or safari) or "arr" in derived words (as in starry, derived from star, or barring, derived from the verb bar).
The following table shows the most common sounds of "arV" and "arrV". Exceptions (such as /ə/) are shown in the examples.
- As /æ/: apparently, character, characteristic, comparison, guarantee
- As /eə/: area, parent, variable, variation, various
- -ing forms: caring, comparing, declaring, preparing, sharing, staring
- As /ə/: arise, around, salary, variety
- Silent "a": separate
- As /æ/: barrier, carry, embarrass, marriage, marry, narrative, narrow
- As /ə/: arrange, arrangement, arrest, arrival, arrive, narrate, narrator
Less common words
- As /æ/: characterize, parallel, paragraph, paranoid
- As /ɑː/: guitarist, safari, sari
- As /eə/: apparent, hilarious
- As /ə/: preparation, summary
- As /æ/: arrogant, arrow, barrio,BrE carrot, parrot, sparrow
- As /ɑː/: barring, barrio,AmE scarring, starring, starry
- As /ɒ/BrE, /ɔː/AmE: quarrel, warrant, warrior
- As /ə/: arrival, arrhythmia, diarrhea
- As /æ/: Arizona, Carol, Carolina, Carolyn, Gary, Harold, Karen, Paraguay, Sharon
- As /eə/: Bulgaria, Mary, Sarah
- As /ə/: Hungary, Maria, Marie, Nicaragua
- As /ə/ or silent "a": Barbara, Margaret
- As /æ/: Harry, Larry
- /eə/ vs /æ/: Mary - marry;
- /eə/ vs /ɑː/: sparing - sparring; staring - starring;
- /ər/,BrE /er/:AmE adversary, library, necessary, primary, temporary
- /r/ (silent a),BrE /er/:AmE military, ordinary, secretary
Table "ar" and "arr"
|/ær/||apparent, aristocracy, arithmetic (adj.), apparel, aromatic, asparagus, baritone, carat, caravan, character, characteristic, charity, comparison, guarantee, hilarity, parable, parachute, paradise, paradox, parody, parallel, paragraph, salary, separate, tiaraAmE||barricade, barrier, barrio,BrE carry, embarrass, marriage, marry, narrative, narrow|
|/ɑːr/||safari, sari, scenario,BrE tiaraAmE BrE||"arr" only sounds /ɑːr/ in loan words or derived forms: barrio,AmE starry, starring|
|/eər/||careful, hilarious, Mary, parent, rarely, Sarah, scenarioAmE, variable, variation, variety, various, vary||N/A|