It can apply to the following:
- a) a subject and its verb; * President Bill Clinton, State of the Union Address, 23 Jan. 1996. should be: "Every one of us has a role to play ..."
- b) a noun and its pronoun; * J.M. Balkin, "Turandot's Victory", 2 Yale J. Law & Humanities 299, 302 (1990) should be: "You can only teach a person something if that person can comprehend and use what is being taught."
- c) a subject and its complement;
- d) a noun and its appositive;
- e) a relative pronoun and its antecedent;
- f) an adjective and its noun.
- Kortmann, Bernd. A handbook of varieties of English. 2. Morphology and syntax, Volume 2. Walter de Gruyter, 2004. Google eBook
- Bache, C; Davidsen-Nielsen, N. Mastering English: An Advanced Grammar for Non-Native and Native Speakers. Walter de Gruyter, 1997. Google eBook