Computers conversation questions
Computers[edit | edit source]
- Do you like computers? Are they:
- a vital part of your life
- a necessary tool but nothing more
- something to play games on
- or something horrible and frustrating which you avoid dealing with as much as you can?
Home[edit | edit source]
- Are you connected to the Internet at home? What do you use your connection for?
- Does your whole family use computers?
- Have you ever studied English using your computer? If so, what did you think of the experience?
- Do you visit many English-language websites while surfing? Is this for work, study or pleasure?
- Are you into computer gaming? Which games do you like and why?
Entertainment[edit | edit source]
- Do you play computer or video games? Which ones do you like?
- Do you use Netflix or a similar streaming media provider?
- If somebody took your home computer away, what would be the biggest problem this would cause you?
- Would you like to spend more time with your computer or would you like to spend more time with friends?
- Which would worry you most - a problem with your computer or a problem with your girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse?
Work[edit | edit source]
- How often do you perform a backup? What kind of backup method do you use? What kind of backup media do you use?
- Do you control computers or do they control you?
- What is the worst thing about computers?
- Computers have changed a lot in the last decade. We have desktop computers, laptops, tablets and smartphones. What do you think we can expect for the future.
- What would you like computers to do that they can’t do now?
- Under what circumstances do you talk to computer-controlled systems? What do you think of voice-control systems?
- How many e-mails do you receive each day? (Personal and business.) Do you think that e-mail slows down work or speeds it up?
- How frequently do you check your e-mail?
- Do you send and receive e-mails in English? Do you feel comfortable using English under these circumstances?
- Do you prefer to correspond in English with native English speakers or with other non-natives?
- Do you prefer to use web browser type e-mail services (Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo)or desktop e-mail clients such as Microsoft Outlook, Lotus Notes, Netware groupwise, and why?
- A major concern for companies these days is that many people send emails and take for granted that they have been received. Do you check that the person expecting an email from you has received it? Do you ask people to acknowledge receipt of an email you send them?
Technical[edit | edit source]
- Do you try to keep up to date with the latest computer technology? Do you want or need to keep up to date?
- Do you know any computer programming languages? Do you write any programs?
- Have you tried any operating systems in addition to the one you currently use (such as Windows, Mac or Linux)? What do you think of these systems?
- Are you happy to open your computer up and make changes to the hardware? What hardware changes have you made?
- If you like playing around with computers, are you most interested in hardware or software?
- What is your opinion of Windows 10? Compared to older versions like Windows 7 or XP?
- If you have used Windows 10 what is your opinion of it?
Hardware[edit | edit source]
There are now various hardware solutions available.
- These include:
- Mobile phone
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of each one? You should consider such questions as: main function, portability, how easy it is to replace or add components, document creation, document reading, watching television programmes and films, cost, how long they last before they need to be replaced, resale value and whether the technology is now obsolete.