Barry Popik is an author and contributor to the Oxford English Dictionary, the Dictionary of American Regional English, the Historical Dictionary of American Slang and the Yale Book of Quotations and Dictionary of Modern Proverbs. Popik is recognized as an expert on the origins of the terms "Big Apple", "Windy City", "hot dog", among other popular words and expressions he has investigated together with Prof. Gerald Leonard Cohen.
- Studies in Slang, part VI Edited by Gerald Leonard Cohen and Barry A. Popik. Frankfurt: Peter Lang (1999)
- Origin of the term "hot dog" by Gerald Leonard Cohen, David Shulman and Barry A. Popik. Rolla, MO: G. Cohen (2004)
- Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America consulting editor. Oxford: Oxford University Press (2004)
- Origin of New York City's Nickname "The Big Apple" by Gerald Leonard Cohen and Barry A. Popik. Frankfurt: Peter Lang (2011)
- Quinion, M. Ballyhoo, Buckaroo, and Spuds. Smithsonian Institution Press ISBN 1588342190