Au pair conversation questions
These conversation questions may be used an introduction to the conversation class on au pair selection.
- What is an au pair? What are the linguistic roots of the word?
- What are the usual duties of an au pair?
- How would you differentiate between the responsibilities and role of a nanny, a babysitter and au pair? What are they expected to do in the household and how much to they interact with it?
- Would you like to try being an au pair? Why/why not?
- What qualities and abilities are usually required of an au pair?
- Are au pairs usually female? Why is this?
- What is the usual age of an au pair?
- Why do people want to become au pairs?
- Do you think that au pairs are more or less common than they used to be? Why might the situation have changed?
- Do you know anybody who has been an au pair or have you been one yourself? What was the experience like? Describe the process of employment
- Do you know anybody who has employed an au pair or have you done so yourself? What was the experience like? Describe the process to employ them?
- What do you think about older and even retired men and women becoming au pairs or live-in helpers? Do you think this benefits the individual and the household?