Advertising conversation questions
- advertising /ˈædvərtaɪzɪŋ/
Advertisements[edit | edit source]
- What is advertising?
- Is the purpose of advertisements to give information about products, or is their purpose only to project an image?
- How truthful do you think advertisements are?
- Some people complain that adverts stimulate an excessively consumerist society. What do you think?
- What do you think is the most effective way of advertising something - on TV, the cinema, radio, internet, newspapers or something else?
Adverts and you[edit | edit source]
- What do you like about advertisements?
- Can you think of an advertisement which you particularly dislike at the moment?
- What is the funniest advert you can remember?
- What car advertisements can you remember? What sort of things do they usually tell you about their products?
- What telephone company advertisements can you remember? What do they tell you about their products?
- Do you feel that you personally are affected by adverts? Do you ever remember the ad but forget what was being advertised?
- How frequently do you buy an article in a shop because you remember the advert?
- Have you ever not bought a product because you were irritated by the advert?
- What do you imagine it would be like to work in the advertising industry?
- Have you ever paid for an advertisement or started an advertising campaign?
- What don't you like about advertisements?
TV and adverts[edit | edit source]
- Do you (or does someone else in your family) channel surf during adverts? How does the rest of the family respond?
- What do you actually DO when the TV commercials come? Do you watch them? What is the maximum number of things you have managed to do during a commercial break?
- Is there (or should there be) a limit on the number of advertisements which can be shown? What would be the effect of such a limit?
- Sometimes people say, "The adverts are better than the programmes". What do you think about this?
- What do you think of the idea of "product placement" advertisements - the inclusion of particular branded products in films and soap operas?
- How much more effective do you think an advertisement is if it features a celebrity?
Adverts and the internet[edit | edit source]
- How often do you click on advertisements on web pages or Google search?
- It is sometimes claimed that the web is the future of advertising. What do you think?
- How would you define "spam"?
- How much spam email do you get? Have you ever responded to a spam email?
Adverts and society[edit | edit source]
- Advertising for alcohol and tobacco is now severely limited - do the adverts, or their prohibition, have much impact either way?
- Are there any other things which shouldn't be advertised?
- In many countries lightly dressed women frequently feature in advertisements. What do you think of this practice?
- Should there be any special controls on adverts specifically directed at children? (For instance adverts directed at children under 12 are banned in Sweden.)
- What moral responsibility, if any, do advertisers have to use "normal looking" people in their advertisements?
- Some charities sometimes use shocking images of starving children or abused animals in their advertisements. What do you think of this practice?
Activity[edit | edit source]
This is a simple activity, which does not need any materials. Time: depending on class and group size, between 1 and 2 hours.
Talk with the students about commercials or use the questions above.
- Where do you encounter advertisements?
- Why do companies advertise?
- What do you think of advertisements?
- Why do you think they are good or bad?
- What is a slogan? Do you know any?
Make a (radio) commercial[edit | edit source]
Work in groups
- Come up with your own company with a good name
- Think of a product you want to advertise
- Think about why people should buy your product
- Come up with a catchy slogan
- Do the commercial live, in front of class